How do I Prepare my Audition?
1. Please read the play and listen to the score. Understanding the story and the exaggerated style will absolutely help you make informed choices. Also please don’t compare yourself to videos you may see online, or hear on recordings! Please! Just focus on getting to know the awesome story and how you might see yourself in it.
2. Select a role that you imagine that you can actually play – Read the character descriptions and please consider your voice, your skills, and how you physically present. Please do not audition for “a lead” simply because it is “a lead”, especially if it isn’t a great fit for you. Remember, it’s not about getting a “big” part. It’s about targeting your preparation for the RIGHT part for YOU.
4. Yes. Many of these roles are big sings. BUT not all of you can belt crazy high just yet and we're not casting screlters - we're casting singers that can move and act and sing at the same time. SO... please, please, please, prep your sides and sing the music how YOU can best sing the music NOW, because you have three months to grow into it. NO BELTING BEYOND YOUR BODY AND HURTING YOURSELF - OKAY? Cool. Glad we covered that.
4. Everyone auditioning for the production must participate in a dance audition and a vocal audition. You should prepare and practice for both.
5. Learn the audition side for your FIRST CHOICE ROLE.
6. Prepare to ACT & SING & DANCE at the same time at your audition.
7. Be as generous as possible with your colleagues and teachers. Trust that every interaction you have with your peers is part of your audition.
8. Be Nice. Nice is always good. :)
What Influences Casting & Placements?
Vocal Style & Technique
Acting Chops & Choices
Connection to the text
Clarity of movement
Ability to take Direction
Demonstration of Responsibility
Trust in the Process
Desire to Work Hard
Sense of Humor
Ability to take criticism gracefully
Availability after school hours
Strong Recommendations from Adults
Trust in Your Talents, and Respect for Other People’s Talents
Age and Experience are NOT on this list!