How do I Prepare my Audition?
1. Listen to the score. Come to audition prep rehearsals for Music and dance. Watch the videos of the production online. Understand the vibe. Understanding the story and the musical style will absolutely help you make informed choices. Also please don’t compare yourself to videos you may see online, or hear on recordings! Please! Just focus on getting to know the awesome story and how you might see yourself in it.
2. Select a role that you imagine that you can actually play – Read the character descriptions and please consider your voice, your skills, and how you physically present. Please do not audition for “a lead” simply because it is “a lead”, especially if it isn’t a great fit for you. Remember, it’s not about getting a “big” part. It’s about targeting your preparation for the RIGHT part for YOU.
3. Be prepared to move. So many musical numbers. There will be lots of theatrical movement. This is a great place to practice lots of different kinds of dance. Bring your best open hearted body to the mix.
4. Everyone will sing and dance at their audition. Not everyone will have to read and that's totally okay.
5. We will only have callbacks, if we need them.
6. Be as generous as possible with your colleagues and teachers. Trust that every interaction you have with your peers is part of your audition.
7. Be Nice. Nice is always good. :)
What Influences Casting & Placements?
Vocal Style & Technique
Acting Chops & Choices
Connection to the text
Clarity of movement
Ability to take Direction
Demonstration of Responsibility
Trust in the Process
Desire to Work Hard
Sense of Humor
Ability to take criticism gracefully
Availability after school hours
Strong Recommendations from Adults
Trust in Your Talents, and Respect for Other People’s Talents
Age and Experience are NOT on this list!